Thursday, April 21, 2011

She is prettier than you, master

(based on suggestions from @sulphura and @facelikethunder)


No leopard print, but lots of overalls and

knitwear and an awful lot of my childhood

spent following her following a long scarf

and a big brown hat. I used to go travelling

through space and time in a phone box.

Soon there was less of this ‘yes doctor no doctor’

less of this bowing to the ichor pure business.

Soon there was my Sarah Jane. Get you, tiger girl.


Myths, legends, fairytales. I saw the furtherest

eldritch reaches of the galaxy before bedtime

I was part of the entourage (though it’s possible

I wasn’t their girl in Havana, more likely

I was the tin dog). Then you dropped me back

on earth in my lounge room as theme music

warped my thoughts. How could anything compare?

Everything ends but you came back

every week with new intergalactic battles.


You know what the most difficult thing was?

Coping with what happens next

or what doesn’t happen next.

The credits always roll, the universe has

to move forward. I always had

to go to bed and grow up at some point.

Everything has its time. Whether it’s a

world, or a relationship, or being a kid.


Every story has its inspiration

they define us as much as happiness or love.

Some things are worth getting

your heart broken for.

I need to hear you say it:

there’s nothing ‘only’ about being a girl.

Greetings, mistress.


_______________________________________

Today's poem is based on suggestions from two peeps:

  • @sulphura: "Can we have a tribute to Sarah Jane?"
  • @facelikethunder: "Earlier in the day I thought of suggesting the words 'eldritch' and 'ichor'. Use them if you think they'd be appropriate."

Elisabeth Sladen played Doctor Who's companion Sarah Jane Smith in the 70s, some later specials, and again in the new series. She died yesterday aged only 63. She was a big part of a lot of our childhoods - I especially associate her with the Tom Baker years of Doctor Who (he's my favourite original series Doctor). Elisabeth was a lot of people's favourite companion. She was just pretty much kinda wonderful.

Today's poem includes a lot of Sarah Jane quotes (mostly from the new series, but a couple from the original). The title of the poem and final line are quotes from K9.

Vale Elisabeth.

No comments: